Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ph.D Blog Assignment 9: Learning through Blogging and Blogging Learning

As a final assignment, we were asked to evaluate the format of this course as it was an online one using Skype and Gmail chat and most assignments were submitted through a blog. Here are my comments on the format:

The online lectures were a bit problematic because of internet connection issues. I think before the department can do this type of class, we have to be sure of a good connection. Also, instead of everyone in class having to be together in one place for the lectures, we can just activate an online conference so everyone can log on from where he/she is. The department’s computer and internet connection should be made open for those who don’t have their own internet chat capabilities at home. This way, the online lectures and meetings are not dependent on just one internet connection. I think this is how some online UK and Australia classes are conducted but I’m not sure how it works or whether it does work.

The reading groups were a lot of fun but I am not sure we executed them right. We learned from each other but maybe the output should be more concrete? I’m not really sure whether the discussions fulfilled their purpose. Or, since this was an online class, maybe we could have blogged more instead of meeting each time? I don’t know, really. I understand why the reading groups were put together but maybe the format needs to be tweaked some more.

The best and most ingenious part of the class’s format was the use of blogs (that was brilliant, Bea!). One, the blogs allowed us to share our ideas with everyone involved in the class. Second, they were essentially the output of independent study (which is how I view graduate studies so I liked it very much). Third, we could comment on each other’s postings and read whatever comments had been uploaded. When we would meet, we would talk about the comments posted on each other’s blogs and encourage each other. It was a very high-tech but personal way of sharing learning. We also got to know each other more. Fourth, I tend to be a bit shy about my ideas and I get scared about sharing them. Posting them on a blog was very zen... let go, little grasshopper! This experience was amazing; I would not mind going through it again.

Although this does not have anything to do with the class’s format, I just have to say that the materials were wonderful (excellent choices, Bea!). There was so much to think about and say that my only regret with this class is that it was too short. Bea, you are a wonderful teacher and mentor.

No comments: